Quinoa & Sweet Potato Burgers
Inspiration and Gratitude to: The Naked Kitchen
MMMMMMMM Burgers! I have been looking for a great veggie burger to make at home and have tried a few that were a flop. However this one is GREAT! easy to prepare, really easy to shape and freeze well so you can have on hand for when those no prep nights are called for.
I served mine with Baby spinach, Tomato and Mayo mixed with Dijon Mustard. Next time I will mix it up with a with tomato chutney, A beetroot and Tyme relish or just plain old tom sauce and onions.
What you need:
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes, peeled (about 3 regular sized sweet potatoes)
- 3/4 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh (I used 1 fresh cob char grilled)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (I Love Red quinoa)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- heaping 1/3 cup Flour ( I used spelt but chickpea or anything on hand is fine)
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano (I like ground)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
What you do:
Preheat oven to around 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with non stick paper.
Steam the sweet potato until cooked through and allow to cool then mash with a fork
In a large bowl add half the beans and mash with a work then add remaining beans, sweet potato and all remaining ingredients and mix to combine all ingredients.
Shape mixture into desired sized patties, I used a 1/2 cup measure and they were the perfect size and shape for me.
Bake in the oven for about 30 mins flipping once.
Note: you could pan fry these in a little olive oil